Thursday, May 10, 2012

Chimming

Yesterday I tried ant eggs.  I closed my eyes, screamed, and then popped one into my mouth and bit down.  Flavorless and liquidy.  And a bit of a let down considering the intentional scene I caused prior to eating it.   Texturally, they are comparable fish roe, but WAY less salty.  On the repulsive scale of 1 to 10, they rank about a 4 for me.  Tolerable, but only if I dont think about what I'm eating.




Sorting the eggs, ants, and some white stuff (the eggs were put into an empty coke bottle)





Ant eggs on a spoon.



And since I survived the initial ant eating experiment, my host sister made me an ant egg omlet.  Because screaming, closing your eyes, and holding your nose equates to loving something, right?




Ant egg omlet.  Arroi mai?



I only took one bite before the thought of hatching ant pupa caused my imagination to run wild and I started having fantasies of ants crawling out of my mouth and nose.  It was like that time I was 5, accidentally swallowed a watermelon seed, and thought a watermelon was going to grow in my stomach.  After much anxiety, I finally came to the internal rationalization that watermelons can't grow without dirt or sunlight, and as long as I didn't eat those two things, I would survive.  As for the ant eggs, I'm proud that I had the courage to try them, but felt okay leaving it at that.  


1 comment:

  1. Whoever served these to you did not serve them properly. My host mother made scrambled eggs in some sort of tomato stew and mixed in the ant eggs. They tasted surprisingly yummy. If you ever visit me at site, I'll learn the recipe and make you ant egg meals the right way!

    ReplyDelete