Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Asian Food Pyramid

Yesterday, I decided I was bored with my current art project for the "healthy living" lessons.  After some brainstorming, I found theAsian Food Pyramid and set about incorporating it into my lesson plans.  I definitely got a kick out of the Asian idiosyncrasies, which include rice and noodles in the grains section, as well as bok choy in the vegetable section.  Check out the link if you have time.  Too cute.   

I had the kids break into groups according to school, draw the pyramid on a large piece of poster board, copy the Thai and English words, then take it back to their school and hang it in the cafeteria so it can be shared with all the students.  It was my attempt at sustainability as well as piquing interest among my kids and the other kids at their schools - or at the very least getting it on their radar.  Happily, they seemed to take it seriously and did a really good job with the project.  Let's just hope they actually hang it up at their schools.  Here are a couple of photos:


The little guy in the front with his pants pulled up to his chin is
one of my fave students.  He is just TOO CUTE!!

In other news, one of those spiders the size of my hand ran through the office today.  I stood on my chair holding up my backpack while everyone else either A) didn't care or B) talked about catching it and frying it up to eat.  I REALLY hope they were joking.  I should have told them it wasn't on the food pyramid and that I didn't recommend eating it.  :(


No comments:

Post a Comment