Sunday, February 12, 2012

Just pics

As requested, here are some photos of my time in Thailand thus far... for those of you non-facebookers!!


This is the view from the building where I have training.  I am typically here in the afternoons, unless of course I'm attempting to interact with the Thai people.  Dii chaan puut paa-saa Thai nit noi ka... I only speak a little Thai. 



A high school close to where I live.  We've gone to this school a couple of times to hang out with the kids and ask them cultural questions.  The kids are shy, but they tend to open up a little once we start butchering Thai. 




A wat near my host sister's private school.  My family let me walk around here for a while.  Suai mak!  Very beautiful.



We have our language classes at a local school.  The kids go nuts when we come and scream our names.  I'm "Pii Salah" which roughly translates to the polite way to acknowledge that I'm their senior.  I get flowers on a weekly basis, they share food with me, and give me more hugs and kisses than I know what to do with.  I feel very loved when we are this school.  :) 




This is my house, and my noong chai (little brother) Donut.  Don't worry, that's just his nickname.  My family owns a restaurant which is in the front yard.  I found out today they serve cheese fries.  I ate two plates. 






In case you want to know where bananas come from... Obviously they grow on trees, but I had no idea they were giant flowers before they were bananas. 


Dinner!!  My favorite, actually.  Curries!!

3 comments:

  1. Sarah, I am sooo proud of you. I've so enjoyed reading about your adventures over these last 6 weeks! and love the pics! the kids are adorable! especially Donut! I am going to share with my Spanish II students here. Is that okay with you? Miss you and have been thinking of you so much. Keep sharing your journey and pics. love and miss you!
    Aunt Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely it's okay to share this... I'll try to keep the bad language to a minimum :) I have so many funny stories to tell but am always so exhausted at the end of the day. Hopefully, as time goes on, I'll get better at posting. I'm so glad you like it! Love and miss you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could always talk into your laptop or the microphone on your iPhone to record things... tell the stories while they're fresh, and then blog later. Or just save them and listen when you're old. ;)
    I, too, have passed along your blog to students, but I wouldn't fret over the language too much. They're big people, more or less.
    LOVE the photos!!!!

    ReplyDelete