I'd like to start with one of my favorites:
Mr. Bean, aka Tan Combover, aka Bpa, aka Forrest Gump, aka Tan Balat.
| Tan Balat and me at a teamwork retreat in Petchabun Province. The yellow scarf he has tied around his arm was used for a teamwork activity earlier in the day. |
In Thailand, a balat is the equivalent of a chief of staff or an executive director at the mayor's office. The balat stamps stuff- like official papers, makes speeches, and theoretically runs the office. The formal title is Tan Balat. Tan is a pronoun used to show respect to government officials. But my office is a bit more laid back. We prefer to use Bpa (uncle) or Mr. Bean.
Lucky for me, Mr. Bean is every bit as lively as his nickname suggests (and a heck of a lot nicer). For my first nine or so months at site, my desk was next to Tan Balat's. On a daily basis he would garner my attention by repeating my name 2 or 3 times. "Salah Salah Salah!" This attention grabber would always preface a special fact he was about to announce: "Thailand is very loud," "Thai people like to eat everything," and, one day, that he was no longer Mr. Bean, but Forrest Gump. " Salah, Salah, Salah. Mr. Bean. No. No. I am Forrest Gump."
Forrest also likes to tell me when I'm wrong, or how I can be better. He calmly says "Salah, Salah. No. No." Shakes his hand and his head and walks away. For example, when he found out I was using Pantene shampoo he informed me that Pantene was "mai dii" (no good) and that I should start using another brand. He was right. Pantene was leaving build-up.
My favorite, and now most infamous, Mr. Bean fun fact story happened during one of these very drives. I was helping a fellow volunteer with an English Camp in a province close to mine. Instead of taking me to the bus, my office decided it would be more convinient to drive me. Five of us piled into a Toyota sedan and began the two hour journey, which actually turned into 4 hours because we got lost. Twice. It ended up taking longer than the bus, but was far more educational. So I'm glad it happened.
Wedged between two Thai ladies in the back, I didn't have a lot of room to move, let alone pay attention to anything other than what was happening in the car. But this didn't stop the Balat from yelling my name as we drove down the highway in the provice of Phichit.
"SALAH, SALAH, SALAH!" he yelled.
"Yes?" I calmly said from about a foot behind him.
He turned around, looked at me, and said in English: "The history of Phichit is crocodile." Then he turned back around and faced the road. Silence.
"What?" I thought to myself. "What is he talking about?"
I pondered this information for the rest of the trip, unable to figure out what exactly it meant. And when I got to my destination, I told the other volunteers about what I had learned. We Googled it and, sure enough, he was right. The Phichit province has a history of having many crocodiles. It's part of their culture and they have crocodile statues everywhere. In America, it would be the equivalent of me taking a foreign exchange student to Florida and saying, in their native language, "The history of Florida is orange." Strangely worded, but accurate.
I'm convinced that my balat is the best balat in Thailand. He's really nice, introduces me to everyone, he speaks a little English, knows everything about everything, and has the best combover in the world. Sure, we have our disagreements (like the day we got into an argument about how to spell 'miss' in English, not that I would know because English isn't my native language or anything) but I really couldn't have asked for a better Balat. He's single-handedly made my time here in Thailand more fun, funny, enjoyable, and more memorable. And for that, I thank him.
| For New Year's the office gave him a basket of hair product complete with pictures of his combover. Here is is with Tim, the community development officer in my village. |
Good write-up
ReplyDelete